Monday, August 5, 2019

A Practical Guide for IoT Solution Architects: architecting secure, agile, economical, highly available, well-performing IoT ecosystems

In this post, I’d like to introduce my recent studies on IoT (Internet of Things) architecture for guiding the IoT solution architects. I have been studying IoT for a decade now and since then technology has substantially improved however there was a huge gap to guide solution architects to undertake IoT solution architectures addressing key architectural factors and concerns.
With an attempt to fill in this gap, I took the plunge and authored a simple guide to help the IoT architects reflecting my insights stemming from my solution architecture background and IoT knowledge. I set the intended audience for this book comprising information technology architects producing IoT solutions, enterprise architects who want to understand the IoT solution development in large organisations and other IT professionals who wish to become IoT solution architects to produce solutions in IoT ecosystems.
The main purpose of this book is to guide solution architects and designers who want to understand the architectural rigour for IoT solutions in an easy, effective, and clear way. Reading this book can help these professionals understand the key challenges and practical resolutions in IoT solution architectures broadly without going too much into the details. It aims to provide them a broad checklist hence may exude confidence. Each chapter focuses on the key methodical aspects that form the framing scope for this book; namely, security, availability, performance, agility and cost-effectiveness.
While authoring this book in the last two years, I conducted a comprehensive review of the practical industry-based publications on IoT. Through my findings, I concluded that there was a tremendous need for secure, agile, highly-available, well-performing and cost-effective IoT systems. I found out that the contemporary issues in the literature and associated media mainly revolve around the five topics, which comprise the key business concerns; namely, security, availability, performance, agility and cost-effectiveness. In this book, I use these five key points as the use cases of effective and efficient IoT solutions.
I also provide useful definitions, a brief practical background on IoT, and a concise guiding chapter on solution architecture development. The content is mainly practical; hence, it can be applied or be a supplemental input to the architectural projects at hand. It is vendor and technology agnostic, purely focuses on architectural rigour. Supplemented by a succinct list of key points to take away, I provided 50 key action points which can be applied to the IoT solution architecture projects.
The book is available at Amazon both as Kindle Version and the Paperback. I look forward to your feedback here to improve for next edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment